Cape Henry Lighthouse
The original Cape Henry Lighthouse, located within the Fort Story military base, was the first lighthouse authorized by the U.S. government, dating back to 1792. It was also the first federal construction project under the Constitution, for an original contract amount of $15,200 (an additional $2,500 was required to finish the lighthouse). A newer structure stands nearby, so there are two lighthouses at Cape Henry. The older lighthouse was acquired in 1930 by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (Now APVA Preservation Virginia). A brick lining and an iron stairway have been added to the interior. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on January 29, 1964. In 2002 the American Society of Civil Engineers designated the lighthouse a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The lighthouse is now available for exploration virtually.