Congresswoman Elaine Luria’s Nuclear Energy Leadership Act Passes House as Part of Broader Clean Energy Bill
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Elaine Luria voted in favor of the Clean Economy Jobs and Innovation Act (H.R. 4447), which included key provisions of her bill, the Nuclear Energy Leadership Act (H.R. 3306). The Nuclear Energy Leadership Act is a bipartisan bill that would encourage further development of advanced nuclear energy programs to create high-quality jobs, strengthen national security, reduce foreign energy dependence, and promote emissions-free energy.
"The Nuclear Energy Leadership Act will safeguard national security by building a thriving and cutting-edge nuclear workforce with expertise in defense-critical energy areas,” said Congresswoman Luria. “I am pleased the House has passed my bill as part of this larger clean energy package, and I urge the Senate to quickly take up this legislation."
Key provisions of NELA in the clean energy package include:
- Authorizing an advanced reactor technology program to focus on safe commercial application designs;
- Allocating funding for nuclear educational research and development programs and apprenticeships;
- Establishing a program to identify technologies that the private sector is unable to undertake and gives access of the private sector to work performed by the Federal government;
- Authorizing an international research and commercial application coordination effort on nuclear energy; and
- Organizing the coordination of programs among federal agencies and national laboratories to provide nuclear energy technical assistance.
Before voting on H.R. 4447, Congresswoman Luria gave remarks in support of the NELA provisions that were included in the clean energy package. You can watch footage here.
Since taking office in 2019, Congresswoman Luria has been a firm supporter of promoting nuclear energy development. The Nuclear Energy Leadership Act passed the Senate as part of the Fiscal Year 2021 National Defense Authorization Act. The bill was also endorsed by the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis as a recommended action to address the challenges posed by climate change.
Congresswoman Elaine Luria represents Virginia’s 2nd Congressional District. She serves on the House Armed Services Committee, where she is the Vice Chair of the Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee, and the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, where she serves as Chair of the Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs Subcommittee.