Congresswoman Elaine Luria Votes to Keep Government Open
WASHINGTON – Congresswoman Elaine Luria (VA-02) this evening voted to support a bill that – pending President Trump’s signature – will keep government open through Sept. 30 and fund important federal priorities.
“The last six weeks reinforced what Virginians know to be true – shutdowns are unacceptable, unnecessary, and uncalled for,” Congresswoman Luria said. “I was proud to support a bill that pays our federal workers and invests in critical programs that keep America safe, healthy, and strong.”
The bill Congresswoman Luria supported:
- Provides significant new investments in the Coast Guard’s fleets and facilities, including the first Polar Security Cutter in more than 40 years, six new Fast Response Cutters, recapitalization of the MH-60 aircraft program, and an additional C-130 J aircraft
- Includes funding for grant programs to address the opioid crisis
- Overrides the President’s pay freeze for federal employees and provides a 1.9 percent pay raise for calendar year 2019
- Supplies funding for Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) programs
- Includes funding for the Watershed and Flood Prevention Operations Program and Watershed Rehabilitation Program
- Provides funding dedicated to infrastructure investments in rural America
- Supports NOAA climate research
- Includes an increase in funding for NASA
Congresswoman Elaine Luria represents Virginia’s 2nd Congressional District. She serves on the House Armed Services Committee, where she is the Vice Chair of the Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee, and the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, where she serves as Chair of the Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs Subcommittee.