Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in our nation’s Service Academies. As a 20-year Navy veteran and Naval Academy graduate, it is an honor and privilege to nominate some of our district’s most talented and skilled young people to serve our country.
Those selected will receive a full four-year scholarship from some of our nation’s finest institutions of higher learning. In exchange, students commit to five years of active duty service upon graduation.
Applying to the Service Academies is a highly competitive process as the members of our Armed Services deserve the best leaders our nation can provide. I sincerely wish you the best and continued success as you answer the call of our nation!
It is imperative that you visit the following link to verify your Congressional Representative by entering your address: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
Academy Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements established by law:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Legal Resident of the 2nd Congressional District of Virginia. Military dependents are required by law to apply for a nomination in their legal domicile.
- At least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age by July 1 of the year of admission
- Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support a child or other dependents
- Meet the academic, physical, and medical requirements of the Academy
The Congressional nomination process is a separate process than that required by each US Service Academy for admission. Candidates must apply for admissions with EACH admissions office of interest. It is to your advantage to apply to more than one academy and you should request a nomination through all sources available to you: Presidential, Vice Presidential, Senatorial, Congressional, and JROTC.
United States Air Force Academy: www.usafa.edu
United States Military Academy: www.usma.edu
United States Naval Academy: www.usna.edu
United States Merchant Marine Academy: www.usmma.edu
Applications for the Class of 2026 opened June 1 and are due October 1, 2021. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted to coordinate scheduling for a date in November 2021. Nominees will be informed in December 2021.
Complete applications MUST include:
- Completed application with digital copy of headshot attached.
- Resume (one-page maximum. Do not print double-sided).
- Personal essay (300-word max) “Why Do I Want to Attend a Service Academy”
- Three letters of recommendations. The recommendations must be signed, dated, and sealed in an envelope by the endorser. Ask early so you can include the recommendations in your packet and submit by deadline.
- Official copy of high school and college (if applicable) transcripts.
- Official copy of SAT and/or ACT scores. The testing agency will forward your scores directly to Congresswoman Elaine Luria at One Columbus Center, Suite 900, 283 Constitution Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23462. Please use Code 5944 for SAT and 7725 for ACT. Your highest scores will be considered.
How to Submit Your Application
- Click here to open the application.
- Fill out the application using Adobe Acrobat. See below for instructions on how to open the application using Adobe Acrobat.
- After clicking on the application, it will open using your browser. If you are using Google Chrome, click on the downward arrow on the top banner to download the application.
- Find the application in your downloads folder. Right-click on the file.
- After right-clicking, select “open with.” Then select Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Print your finished application.
- Mail your complete application directly to Congresswoman Elaine Luria at One Columbus Center, Suite 900, 283 Constitution Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23462. This includes the application with all fields completed, one-page resume, personal essay, letters of recommendation, official copy of high school or college transcripts, and official copy of ACT or SAT Scores. (The testing agency will forward your scores directly to Congresswoman Elaine Luria at One Columbus Center, Suite 900, 283 Constitution Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23462. Please use Code 5944 for SAT and 7725 for ACT. Your highest scores will be considered.)
Service Academy Information Day 2020
Last year, my office held a virtual Service Academy Information Day session to provide applicants with helpful information regarding the nomination process. You can find a recording of the session here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eq8AsqdjY0&feature=youtu.be.